Direct to content
Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland

Services - Embassy of Finland, Kabul : Services


Tel. +93 798 108 786
English | Suomi | Svenska | facebook


The Embassy of Finland in Kabul provides services to Finnish citizens and permanent residents of Finland within the scope of the Consular Services Act.

The Embassy of Finland in Kabul does not issue visas or residence permits or accept visa or residence permit applications. For visa and residence permit issues please contact the Embassy of Finland in New Delhi or any of the Visa Service Centers in India.

Customer service

The Embassy's office hours are Sunday-Thursday 08:30-16:15. The customer services section is open Sunday 9:00–15.00 by appointment only. To make an appointment, please call +93 (0) 79 810 87 86. For further information please contact sanomat.kab(a)

The Embassy is closed on certain Afghan and Finnish public holidays. Please see our Facebook page for up to date information.

In an emergency during office hours, please call +93 79 3322 924. In an emergency outside of office hours, please contact the Foreign Ministry's emergency hotline +358 9 160 55555. Questions regarding visas and entry into Finland are not emergency issues.

For further information on consular services please see the Foreign Ministry's webpage.

The Embassy recommends that Finnish citizens and permanent residents of Finland submit a travel notification or email sanomat.kab(a) if traveling to Afghanistan. Providing information is voluntary and will be treated in accordance with Finnish data protection and consular services acts. Information can be shared with other Finnish authorities, for example KELA.


The Population Register Centre of Finland and Local Register Offices maintain a national registry of all Finnish citizens and permanents residents of Finland. In accordance with Act 661/2009, the population registry shall be updated also for Finnish citizens residing abroad regardless of temporarily or permanently. The Act requires initiative from citizens to ensure information is kept up to date.
The Embassy can convey the following information to Finnish authorities:

The original document, which has been legalized accordingly, must be attached to the notification. If the customer wishes to keep the original, a copy can be made at the Embassy. The authenticity of the copy must be notarized at the Embassy.

All documents must be translated into Finnish, Swedish or English. If the translation is made in the country of origin, it must also be legalized. If the translation is made in Finland, a translation by an authorized translator will be accepted (see Act 1231/2007).
When making a notification of a Finnish citizen born outside of Finland, the child must be present at the Embassy when the notification is made.

All forms are available electronically at The Embassy recommends filling out the form and sending directly to the Local Register Office identified in the form.

Notification of marriage in Afghanistan

A citizen of Finland is obligated by law to keep his/her personal information updated in the population registry. If a person enters into marriage abroad, the marriage must be registered in Finland. The notification is made with form Notification of marriage of a Finnish citizen abroad Finland . If both spouses are Finnish citizens, each must fill a separate form.

A person registering a marriage must present the original passports of the spouses, or if the other spouse is an Afghan, the original tazkera, as well as original and legalized marriage certificate and proof of registration of marriage in Afghanistan. The marriage must be registered in Afghanistan before it can be registered in Finland.

Citizenship, birth, proof of paternity

Finnish citizenship can be based on the citizenship of a parent or foster parent, having been born in Finland, marriage of parents, application or notification. The competent authority on citizenship issues is The Finnish Migration Service.

Notification of citizenship can be made online. Migri's e-services has been expanded too citizenship notifications. Finnish citizens residing abroad can submit the following notifications through Finnish embassies abroad or the police in Finland:

Even if the notification is submitted via e-services, a personal visit to a Finnish Embassy or the police is required. The notification can be dealt with only after identity has been proven and all required original attachments have been submitted.

Citizenship of a child

Child born in marriage
A child will automatically get Finnish citizenship if the mother is a Finnish citizen, or if the child is born in marriage and the mother is a foreign citizen and the father is a Finnish citizen. When submitting a notification of birth at a Finnish Embassy, the parents' original passports or tazkera and the child's birth certificate translated into English and legalized by the competent Afghan authority must be presented. Both parents must be present at the Embassy when submitting the notification.
If the child is also a citizen of another country, proof of citizenship must be attached to the notification. The document must be legalized by the competent Afghan authority.

Child born outside of marriage
If a child of a Finnish father and foreign mother is born abroad outside of marriage the child's paternity must be confirmed before the child can obtain Finnish citizenship. The competent Finnish authority is the Finnish Migration Service. After the Migration Service has confirmed the child's paternity a citizenship notification can be submitted. A passport application can only be made after the child has been granted Finnish citizenship.

Dual citizenship

Finnish legislation accepts dual or multiple nationalities. A Finn who acquires a foreign nationality will not lose his/her Finnish nationality, nor will a foreigner who acquires Finnish nationality be obliged to renounce his/her current nationality. It should be noted, however, that the nationality legislation of the country in question does not necessarily accept multiple nationality.

Despite of the fact that multiple nationality is accepted a person holding dual nationality may lose his or her Finnish citizenship at the age of 22 if he or she lacks sufficiently close ties with Finland.

Finnish Immigration Service:
Post address: Maahanmuuttovirasto, P.O. Box 18, FIN-00581 Helsinki, Finland
Customer Service Point: Lautatarhankatu 10, 00580 Helsinki
Tel. +358 (0)71 873 0431
Fax +358 (0)71 873 0730

Adoption from abroad

If a person is a citizen or a permanent resident of Finland and is considering an adoption from abroad, please contact service provider for an adoption.
For more information regarding adoption from abroad please contact the National Supervisory Authority for Welfare and Health Valvira.

Once an adoption is valid, an adopted child under the age of 12 will automatically obtain Finnish citizenship if at least one of the adoptive parents is a citizen of Finland. An adoptive child of 12–17 years of age will obtain Finnish citizenship by declaration. The form can be submitted to the police or to a Finnish Embassy abroad.


The Embassy can provide and legalize the following documents:

  • Proof of domicile
  • Proof of marriage
  • Proof of living
  • Passport certificate for migration authorities
  • Certification of signature
  • Certifying the authenticity of a copy

Notary public services and legalization of documents are subject to charge. Please see the current price list.

When requesting a certificate or legalizing a document, the person requesting the document must be able to provide an explanation for the use of document. Documents for legalization must be brought to the Embassy in person (during customer service hours).

Legalization of documents

For a legal document drawn up by a foreign authority to be considered legal in Finland, the document must be legalized. The Embassy of Finland in Kabul is not authorized to legalize documents given by Finnish authorities or those of other countries than Afghanistan. Further information of legalizing Finnish documents is available at the Foreign Ministry's web page. For a document issued by Finnish authorities to be used in Afghanistan, it must first be legalized at the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland and then at the Embassy of Afghanistan in Oslo.

Legalization of Afghan documents

Documents issued by Afghan authorities must first be translated into English and the legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan. Only after that they can be legalized at the Embassy. Legalization of documents is subject to charge. All payments are made in US dollars.

If the document is to be legalized by a representative rather than the competent person, the representative must present the following documents:

  • Power of attorney signed and dated by the competent person indicating the name of the competent person as well as the person representing him/her and explaining what purpose the power of attorney is for.
  • Proof of identity which must be emailed to the Embassy in advance.
  • Original passport and tazkera of the competent person or a legalized copy of the passport and tazkera with copies of his/her residence permit and entry and exit stamps to Finland.

The competent person is the person the document concerns, in case of a minor the competent person is the child's official guardian.

The handling time for legalizations is two weeks.

Marriage certificate

A marriage certificate must first be legalized at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan and after that at the Embassy of Finland in Kabul.

Legalization is subject to charge in accordance with the list of service charges. Payment is made in US Dollars.

Proof of living

To be able to issue a proof of living document, the person must personally visit the Embassy and provide a valid passport.

The document is subject to charge in accordance with the list of service charges. Payment is made in US Dollars.

Passport certificate for migration authorities

When applying for a new passport, the Embassy can provide a passport certificate for Afghan authorities in order to move ones visa to the new passport. The document is free of charge.

Certification of signature

To certify a person's signature, the person must visit the Embassy in person and provide a valid passport as proof of identity. The document will be signed in the presence of the Embassy official who will then certify the signature. Certification is subject to charge.

Certifying the authenticity of a copy

The original document and its copy must be brought to the Embassy. The Embassy will then certify the authenticity of the copy. The certification is subject to charge.

Inheritance and will

In case of a death of a Finnish citizen or a permanent resident of Finland in Afghanistan the Embassy can assist in repatriation and population registry notifications. For issues relating to inheritance and will, we suggest contacting a local lawyer. The Embassy cannot act as a lawyer or an advocate.


A Finnish passport is a travel document issued to a Finnish citizen. Your passport must be valid for the proposed duration of your stay and your personal information (first name and surname) must be up-to-date. It is important that your passport is intact and undamaged because it also serves as proof of identity. Only one person can travel on one passport; children can no longer be included on their guardian’s passport.

If you are staying outside Finland, you can apply for a passport at a Finnish embassy, consulate general or consulate (please note that honorary consulates do not provide a passport service). Passport applications must always be submitted in person; applications cannot be sent by post or through a representative. The application can be submitted at any mission of Finland abroad regardless of where you live or at any police station in Finland.

Your passport application can only be initiated when your personal information given in the application (such as names and details concerning your children and their guardians) is fully consistent with the data entered into the Population Information System. Under the population information act (Laki väestötietojärjestelmästä ja Väestörekisterikeskuksen varmennepalveluista 661/2009) that entered into force on 1 March 2010, it is your personal duty to ensure that your details are up-to-date. If necessary, you can check your details from your Local Register Office. Finnish missions can help you in updating the information.

Finnish passports are issued for a maximum of five years. Underage children must have their own passport and, irrespective of age, be present together with both guardians when the passport application is made.

For your passport application you will need:

  • one passport photo (Passport photo requirements)
  • your previous passport or valid identity card
  • a copy of your notification to the local police of loss or theft of your valid passport
  • if you are under 18, both guardians' consent (to be presented in the application form or in a separate enclosure)
  • if you are a male person aged 17–30, documentation concerning your conscription and military service status (e.g. military passport, certificate of exemption)
  • possibly an extract from the population register or other proof of Finnish citizenship.

If you cannot present official documents to prove your identity, investigative measures will be used to clarify the matter.

If you are liable to military service and fail to provide proof of your military service, a statement from military authorities in Finland will be requested and the passport application will be suspended until these checks have been completed.

How long does it take to get a passport?

The processing of an ordinary passport normally takes from one to three weeks, of which preparation of the passport takes 4 to 6 days plus the time for delivery. The delivery time varies from a few days (Europe) to 7 to 10 days (Asia, Africa and Central America). Fast-track passports involve and extra fee and they are processed in one to three days plus the time for delivery (as an ordinary passport).

Collecting your passport

You can collect your passport at the same mission where you made your application, or you can ask for it to be delivered to some other mission or to a police station. You can also authorise another person to collect your passport.

If you lose your passport abroad

If your passport is lost, stolen or damaged while abroad, you can get an emergency passport to return home or to continue your travel. An emergency passport is issued for the duration of your travel, but for no longer than 12 months. An emergency passport is issued by the mission. Please note that the United States, for example, does not accept an emergency passport without a visa. You must report the loss or theft of your passport to the local police and present the notification at the mission when applying for a replacement passport.

If Finland does not have a diplomatic mission in the country where you are travelling, you can ask assistance at a mission of another EU country to get an Emergency Travel Document (ETD) for your flight home.

How much does a passport cost and how do I pay?

You must pay the full fee for the passport when you make the application. The fee in the local currency charged by Finnish missions abroad corresponds to its value in euro. Check the fees and methods of payment on the mission’s list of service fees. Please note that if the passport cannot be granted or if it is not collected, the application processing fee remains non-refundable.

Print this page

This document

Also in this site

Other Foreign Service websites

Related websites

Updated 7/27/2018

© Embassy of Finland, Kabul | About this site | Contact information